Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Day 18 Hog Hunt

Well it is our 2nd. Day here at Powerhouse Hole. Everyone is up and running around. Bruce is in a pretty good mood. Jim is going out to hunt for a deer he said. The deer are over in the valley and Doug, Bruce and Jim are all going out to night to get one. The deer are all bedding down now and are easier to get. Doug said that they smell the deer before the deer can smell them.
Bruce's kids are out by the Motor Home. The fur on his kids is alot darker then Jim's kids. It's makes it harder to see them in the woods. They are playing a game called
( Get away and hide ) which played all the time.
Garrison's right leg must be alot better. He's not limping as much. I hear quite a commotion in the trees. I guess the guys got their deer. Should be back soon if they got one. Emma and Joyce are cooking up leftovers from the other night from when we were at Devil's Lake S.P.  I have only eaten with them the one time and that was  Ribs I got in Tillamook. I never eat what they eat because I have no idea where their meat comes from. But I can tell you that it always smell so so good. I did find out that Bruce and his Mate are mostly vegetarian.
Their diet consists of about 10 % meat. There is so much for them to eat in this area, roots, wild onions, berry's and all types of greens. Emma took me out to show me how to find wild potatos and other roots that are edible. They stay away from mushrooms because it is hard to tell which ones are good. Iam helping them clean the roots we found, that will go with dinner.
The guys are back now and they did not get a deer!!! What a surprise! They got a large Hog. Bruce said it was only by chance they came by the Hog. Doug also said that this was one mean wild Hog. Jim had a bad cut on his leg. He said that the Hog turned on him. Bruce had to kill it by jumping on it and killing it. I didn't realize how many scars that Jim had on his arms and legs. But to feed your family you got to do what you have to do to get the job done. It's 2:30 am now, and everyone is getting ready for dinner. I will stay by the fire and wait for them to get done. Iam having fried chicken from the store.
Bruce and his mate along with the two kids are leaving.
Bruce had some good stories about Doug when they lived in the Olympic Nat'l Forest.
More tomorrow
Shirtless Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment